Monday, February 27, 2006

Zanna, Ho-zanna, Hey, Superstar


This past weekend I went home to hang out with my moms. (Always a pleasure. It feels good to be home, Mom :) We got some work in cleaning out the garage on Saturday. We both had a lot of crap in there. After dropping two carloads worth of stuff on Goodwill's door step, we showered and headed downtown to the show: Jesus Christ Superstar at the Byham Theater.

I remember listening to the soundtrack to JCS as a kid so watching the show brought back a ton of memories. It was good. We enjoyed the cast, although (this sounds funny to say) Judas and Mary were better than Jesus. The company flipped a couple of the scenes (spoiler warning for those in Pittsburgh...) They had Caiaphas and his homies as Italian mobsters (conceivably to avoid any possibly antisemitic appearance) and they made the scene with Harod like a meeting in Trump's boardroom on the Apprentice, which I thought was a fun scene. One of the coolest things they did was recreating famous paintings by freeze-action posing during the play. All in all, Mom and I had a great time.

On a whim, we decided to pop into the movies to see what's playing on the way home. We showed up with perfect timing to see Madea's Family Reunion, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was funny, deep, and an all around feel-good movie. This was the first movie I have seen by Tyler Perry. My mom says she enjoyed it even better that Diary of a Mad Black Woman. I recommend it - especially if you grew up with a large black family.

Now I am off to San Fran to hang out with RJ and Danielle for two weekends ...oh and to do some work during the week between ;)

1 comment:

rebeleyeball said...

Sounds great. I wish I could see it. But I don't think Spokane, WA is on the tour :-(.